Over the last few days, I experienced myOpenID downtime, which prevented me from using the StackExchange suite of sites, such as StackOverflow. I have resolved my issue, have a word of caution for others in my situation, and have a suggested solution.
Yesterday, I decided to upgrade my Linode hosted, Xen virtualized server from Debian 6.0 “Squeeze” to Debian 7.0 “Wheezy“. Usually this process is quite easy, just adding some software channels and upgrading the software. This time, however, I ran into some nasty bug with different Xen host/guest Linux kernels and how they handle disk-io write-barriers. Continue reading
So, I’m typically very reserved about using under-supported software of any kind, and that includes anything coming from Debian’s “experimental/rc-buggy” branch. However, Iceweasel finally tempted me to cross the line.
Yesterday, Ubuntu 12.10 was officially released. I had upgraded my older Dell Latitude D610 from 12.04.1 to 12.10 Beta2, and was having graphics problems. Even after all the patches made for the final release, I was still having difficulties.